Thursday, July 26, 2007

As in, a wooden horse...

Yup, that's right, folks. I had a Trojan on my work computer. ACK. We have three computers in the office. Mine, the "hub," the secondary office computer, that our accountant uses, and then the Rabbi's computer. After about a year of healthy use, it started slowing down all of a sudden. Then after a bit of a tune up, it lost the ability to become the network hub. We figured something was up. So I put all data onto a "Key thing-a-ma-jig" (with 2 gigs of memory) and crossed my fingers that a white knight would come soon.

And I've been using the secondary computer to do most work - IT can still get on the internet, but not the network. But it's an OLD computer. NO USB PORT. So I've put stuff, aka documents, either on disk, or the usb key thinggy, and gone into the Rabbi's office to print, or evaluate data. UGH.

But today! Today!

Imagine, if you will, three guys from the Sopranos magically appearing at your doorstep. All menacing like. Now imagine exactly the opposite of that. You know, like from those movies in the 80's. Except without the glasses. BUT. They ALL had those USB Key thinggies around their necks - EACH and EVERY one of them. And the leader had a shiny card-like size device that has 8 GIGS of memory. I was MUI impressed.

They've pretty much cleaned it all up, but we're still fixing the minutae, and crossing t's and dotting i's, but WOW. It's amazing what can happen when "the professionals" come in!

2 comments:

Care said...

Eeeek! Glad the professionals could get your computer cleaned up. I have had a trojan horse once - it was horrible to get rid of. Even now I shudder to think of it!

Bast said...

Hey just dropping by to give you some birthday spanks...

Happy Happy. Dahling.