So I have gerd. (gastro esophogeal reflux disorder) and it SUCKS. I take aciphex daily, and sometimes I feel that it's under control. So I forget sometimes, and then MAN do I pay for it later. I let my eating disorder take control, and I let food call the shots, not my gerd.
Below is a sample of all that I have to do. Sigh. Basically, I just need to eat hard boiled eggs, and toast. Yuck.
Tips For Managing GERD
(GastroEsophageal Reflux Disorder)
1. Decrease Reflux!
• Eat small, frequent meals.
• Avoid evening snacks and late night meals.
• Don’t lie down for 2-3 hours after eating.
• Avoid tight-fitting clothes.
• Elevate head of bed 4-8 inches when sleeping.
2. Minimize Foods That Allow the Lower Esophageal Sphincter
Muscle To Open:
• Fat (Aim for < 45 grams of fat per day.)
• Carminatives (peppermint and spearmint)
3. Don’t Smoke!
•Nicotine relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter muscle and allows it
to open. (OK - THIS ONE'S EASY! I QUIT SMOKING 4 YEARS AGO)
•Smoking decreases the secretion of bicarbonate (an acid buffer).
4. Avoid Foods That Stimulate Gastric Acid Secretion:
• Fermented alcoholic beverages (beer and wine)
• Large meals, especially those high in protein.
5. During Inflamed States, Avoid Acidic and Spicy Foods Which
Irritate the Esophagus:
• Citrus fruit and juices
• Soft drinks
• Spices (red/black pepper and large amounts of chili powder)
• Alcohol -- all kinds cause superficial mucosal damage.
So um, basically, all of the Thai and Mexican that I enjoy? NO MORE. ugh.
But if avoiding those foods will allow me to NOT feel the way I have this evening, then I'm all for it.
Sorry it's been so long since a post. I'll write more about vacation and Malka's serious displeasure of planes and my first day at my new awesome job later, I've just been swamped.