Sunday, July 03, 2005

Cougar update

His spirit and demeanor seemed a little better when I came home. He's still a bit lethargic, and the same old, but his head is more erect. He LOVES the taste of the salmon juice mixed in with his water, food and medicine, but he HATES the syringe feedings....

I WAS able to get about 10cc's into him though, and usually I can get only about 5 in before he freaks out.

I pray it's a good sign. We are pretty set in the fact that we will not spend a bunch of money on making him better - how much could they give him? Another year? At half his present quality of life? It's just not worth it - for dear Cougs, or for us. We're not the kind of kitty mommies that will have a cat dragging around a feeding tube and a urinary cathetar just to make us feel better - it's so unfair to the cat! So we will hope that this is something that medication can help him out with, and if not, I pray that he tells us that it's his time, that he's ready.

I am oddly very calm right now; I did spend the better part of the last 72 hours crying, so perhaps I have reached a state of clarity? Maybe getting out of the house and going to not ONE, but TWO bar-b-ques today helped me to talk to some friends about the situation (and two vets were at the second one!) and perhaps it gave Cougar a break from my insessant checking on him, and allowed him a really good nap. But he does look a little better - he is still lethargic, etc, but he is holding his head more erect.

I pray it's a good sign...

Meanwhile, Juno and Quincy couldn't be HAPPIER that I opened up a can of canned salmon - Cougs gets the juice, and guess who got a little salmon snack tonight? And guess who is the mom that rocks the house! (Let's hope the salmon makes up for a bit of the lesser attention I've given them over the past few days, poor things) Quincy did, however, as usual, jump up onmy lap while I was going to the loo - one of his favorite activities, and he was purring up a storm - and this was all "pre-salmon" - so perhaps he simply understands...

No comments: